Friday, August 06, 2010

Blessings

Better day today - feeling OK, boys and I got groceries, got an estimate on a new blower motor for the A/C/furnace that is half what the first one was - all good.

I realized I told you all about what went wrong this week but left out the most important thing yesterday - what we have to be grateful for.

Often, I'm the one in our house trying to look on the bright side of things, reminding everyone that we have a lot to be grateful for, but this week, it was Ken.  By Tuesday night - after spending much of the day at the eye hospital and dragging my exhausted body to the Apple store to hear the grim news on my computer, I was feeling pretty low and overwhelmed. 

We were driving back from the mall when Ken said to me, "We have a lot to be grateful for, you know." (that's usually my line!)  He reminded me how blessed we were to have such a good eye doctor who was able to find and repair such a small and hard-to-reach retinal tear, to be so close to such a highly ranked eye hospital, and to have the health insurance to cover such medical expenses.  Ken was feeling particularly grateful that his eyesight wasn't permanently affected, as he considered what it would be like to lose his sight.

And, of course, less important but still relevant, I was fortunate that my wonderful husband had already bought me a gorgeous new laptop to replace my "vintage" one, even if my timing on the data transfer was less than perfect!

I just wanted to end the week on a high note, and pass along this reminder to the rest of you.  No matter how bad things are or how many things go wrong, there are always people far worse off.  I have a lot to be grateful for, including a husband who reminds me to count my blessings.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Renee said...

Amen!

Leanne said...

Oh YES that is a line we use often. But it is soo true!

Love Leanne

parenting ad absurdum said...

Good to be reminded of this often! And you reminded me to be grateful that I too have a fantastic, positive teammate :).

Toni said...

What a beautiful and welcome post Sue, both for you and for me personally. I'm so glad you were able to put the week into perspective and find all the things you have to be grateful for. I'm been having a tough week. The isolation from Tony being gone for 3 1/2 weeks and my one faithful visitor being out of town too had me feeling pretty blue. But I began to feel the mood lift today and now your post has encouraged me even more to count my blessings. So, as Renee said: Amen!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things got sorted. I'm behind on blogs so just reading through them. Must have been very scary to go through that (for your husband and for you!), hope you are both taking the time to recover!

Cusp said...

You have had a tough week. Hard to get through and I empathise ..the renovations at ourplace have been hellish this week: 9 builders in on Friday and my daughter in tears because she wasn't well and wanted to be in bed (but couldn't because of building noise) and/or have a shower (but couldn't because the water was off while they sorted the new boiler) and then our 'holiday dog'(who we were looking after for a friend) bit the elctricians ankle !

I was about to burst and then I remembered those poor souls in the Pakistan floods who have probably never had even 1/4 of what we have and now have even less.

Pays to count your blessings :O)

Hope the visit goes well at w/e

'Keep calm and carry on' as we say here

upnorth said...

Good for you to be able to step back and put things into perspective and count your blessings. It doesn't mean a week like yours isn't a struggle - it just means you can see the bigger picture which I think is a gift. I hope the upcoming week is a little "lighter" on the challenges!! :)

Dominique said...

Yes, yes, yes! When the bad keeps rolling in, I have to do the same thing and remind myself of all my blessing.

Thanks for the reminder Sue and I am hoping and praying that this coming week is a really good one for you all!